Thursday, November 10, 2011

Dad's Reel

I love crooked tunes!  This crooked tune is a Quebecois tune, of which 75% is identical to another tune called Reel Des Eboulements.
I'm not a Canadian fiddler and although sometimes I try to imitate the style, this time I didn't.  I just liked the melody a lot and didn't want to get in the way of it by throwing my bow around like a real Canadian fiddler because when I do it I sound like crap.  SO.  I think it turned out having sort of a Cajun feel instead, which is fine by me.

So, for a review of what crooked means, in case you're new here.  Crooked=awesome.

Really though, crooked is what you call a tune when it's not square, or each section isn't made up of 8 or 16 bars.  This one has a square A, B, and D part, but the C part is all kinds of wacky.  It has 8 1/2 bars, with a 3 1/2 bar phrase followed by a 5 bar phrase.  Wahoo!

1 comment:

  1. Just catching up on your NTAD posts. Of course I had to pay special attention here. ;) Love all the music as always. Looks like you have a crazy following on youtube. How cool! You and your boots will be famous. I need to get an autograph while the gettin's good!

    ReplyDelete