Thursday, August 25, 2011

La Bétaille

I'm sure this word means something, but I'm not sure what.  The full name of this tune is "La Bétaille dans le 'tit arbre" (the ---- in the little tree.)  What the ---- is I'm not sure.



Confounding fact #1.  The word bétail means cattle or livestock.  The livestock in the little tree?
Confounding fact #2.  Darol Anger arranged and recorded this waltz with Michael Doucet, Bruce Molsky and Rushad Eggleston (Fiddlers 4) and they gave it the name "La Betaille (You Little Wild Thing)."  Which makes no sense to me.  The little wild thing in the little tree?

I don't think Monsieur Fontenot, the composer, is around anymore to tell me what this all means.  Alors, c'est un mystère.

If anyone can solve this riddle, let me know!

1 comment:

  1. My understanding is that in Cajun French Betaille is a reference to a little thing. Tit Betaille= little mosquito, but in this case of this song, a female down by the small tree. Does anyone know the full lyrics?

    ReplyDelete